Wednesday, May 18, 2011

DE AANGESPOELDE WALRUS - AN UPDATE!

I have been sketching for a while now for the story 'De Aangespoelde Walrus', a collaboration with Twan Mul. I did little background/atmosphere paintings and I started working on the characters.
Here's a sneekpeek!
The dancer - ©  Siri Hol
The dancer is a very humble and friendly man. His arms and legs are a bit skinny but his shoulders are quite muscular. When he's not on stage he looks like an average guy. But when he's dancing he becomes a different person, his black make-up showing the lines in his face.

The boy and the girl - © Siri Hol
I still have to work on these characters, but thought it would be nice to share this drawings anyway. The boy is a typical teenager, a bit clumsy and his body isn't fully grown. His teeth are a bit crooked and his ears are larger then average.
The girl is skinny and her hair is very straight. Her grey eyes are quite small and she has little hairs on her upper lip. She's always dressed in grey and ocean-like colors.




The other characters are the walrus, the driver, the postman, the old man and lady. I will tell you more about the other characters in an upcoming blogpost.
Colorstudies - © Siri Hol



















The backgrounds are actually colorstudies. I want the background to 'breathe' summer in a mediterranean village, but still look dewy and misty. So the colors have to be earthy combined with some unusual, unnatural colors.
I like the roughness of these little paintings, if I use the same techniques on the larger versions it looks a bit more polished. I'm very excited about the current backgrounds I'm working on. Twan and I will meet in a couple of weeks to discuss these. After that, there will be an update again.

Well, I would love to know what you think :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.